We’ve had quite a few complaints about grass and greenery in the last week.
– Downhall Park Way ditch – a rectification notice was being sent to the contractors, ISS, on Friday to finish the work. They will have 2 working days to complete it.
– A129 in Rawreth, to the west of the Carpenters Arms Roundabout -apparently the verges only get a ‘rural cut’ once per year, though that clearly isn’t adequate and we are querying this. We have asked for the vegetation overgrowing onto the footpath to be removed (that’s a County Highways responsibility). We have also asked for rubbish and a tyre on the grass verge to be removed by the District council and hopefully that will be done soon.
– Downhall Road area – We have received several complaints from local residents that although the grass verges in the downhall area were mowed last week , this was not followed up by the usual strimming operation to the edges and around trees, leaving the area looking “very scruffy” We have queried this with the district council.
We have the Local Highways Panel next Thursday, and County Highways officers are now recommending that the bus stop opposite Hambro Parade stays where it is! As we reported last October most councillors on the panel – Conservative and UKIP, as it happens – had voted to move it down to the junction with Ferndale Road, with a cost of up to £75,000.
The report says:
– The ECC Road Safety Team did not support the scheme going ahead
– There was a councillor objection in the local press – that was Ron Oatham!
– Rawreth Parish Council objected
– A Road safety audit ‘identified many points of safety/design for both the proposed bus stop and proposed layby location’
– “Consulation with Stategy and Engagement and Passenger Transportwho both were not in favour… Congestion will not be removed”
– Diverting BT infrastructure at the layby would be expensive
– insufficient space to safely install the bus bay.
So hopefully on Thursday the panel will decide to drop the idea and leave the bus stop where it is!