Rayleigh at War

Rayleigh Through the Looking Glass has a selection of photos this month showing the town during WWI and WW2.

Here’s a couple of examples,  showing the 1/9 Kings Royal Rifles in WW1, and the Black Watch in WW2 standing where the clock is now:

11 comments on “Rayleigh at War
  1. Rayleigh Resident says:

Every reason, if a reason is needed, to wear your Poppy with pride and gratitude.

2. Martin says:

My Great Grandad is possibly in the picture of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps as he spent some time guarding German Prisoners at a camp near Makro on Rawreth Lane ,before he went to the Front. He was not from Rayleigh he lived in West Ham.

3. Chris Black says:

The second photo is of Manns Corner, where the clock is now. During the war my Mum lived there with her parents above the shop.(The pale building on the right). I’m told that at one time in the war soldiers were parading there and their sergeant was being so unkind to them that my grandmother stuck her head out of the window you can see in the picture and told off the sergeant. What the troops thought of it I can only guess…. 🙂

4. Chris Black says:

Martin, there was a prison camp near Makro? Interesting, thanks. I wonder if Rayleigh Through the Looking Glass can tell us any more?

5. Alison says:

The windmill used to have a wooden toy made by a prisoner of war in Rayleigh- it may still be on display.

6. Rayleigh Resident says:

Dissapointing to see so few people, young and old, not wearing a poppy today in the High Street.

7. Rayleigh Resident says:

Whoops – should have said wearing a Poppy…..I’ll go to the back of the class.

8. Terry Joyce says:

Martin,Mike Davies from Rayleigh Through the Looking Glass is very interested in speaking to you about your Great Grandad and the camp near Makro. Can you contact him please 01268 786657.

9. paul nice says:

In 1958 i worked for a rayleigh builder and we had a job of converting the buildings on the rawreth camp into small factory units. This was for a local business man who also had a similar camp on canvey island

10. Richard Ashton says:

My father John Ashton was based in Rayleigh for part of WW2 he was a CPL in the Highland Light Infantry ( they wore Black Watch Tartan according to my mum) He met my mum one day in Rayleigh High street. He was in charge of the officers mess ( my mum & Nan never went short of food on ration) I lived in Rayleigh, Rochford and Hullbridge for 55 years my dad is buried in Rayleigh cemetery near Uplands Park Road.