September 21st, 2013 |
Give Us Your Suggestions On Street Lighting
As we have mentioned before, the County Council are planning to introduce ‘part night’ street lighting in Rochford District from January 2014. ‘Part Night’ lighting means that the lights are switched off between midnight and 5am,
The County’s viewpoint is that ‘part night’ lighting brings benefits in the form of energy consumption and carbon emissions and a reduction in light pollution.
However the County propose that lights in areas meeting one of the following criteria will continue to be lit throughout the night. This amounts to around 30% of streetlights.
The criteria are
– Sites where there are a large number of conflicting traffic movements eg roundabouts which are on significant routes (generally where light columns are 6m or more);
- Sites where lights have been installed as a result of accident remedial measures;
- Town Centres where there is one or more of the following features
– i) publically maintained CCTV;
- ii)a high proportion of high security premises (eg banks,jewellers);
- iii) areas of high crime risk;
- iv)Areas where there is a high concentration of people at night e.g. Transport interchanges, nightclubs;
-Main approaches to town centres where there is a mix of development between residential and commercial/industrial;
- Sites where the police can demonstrate that there is likely to be an increase in crime;
- remote footpaths and alleys linking residential streets; where there is a statutory requirement to provide lighting.
The County’s consultation seeks views and particularly suggestions as to those areas which meet the exception criteria, advising of the location of the lights including street and settlement names and the reason for meeting these criteria. As part of the consultation exercise the Parishes and emergency services have been contacted and asked for their views direct.
To sum it up – the County Council is planning to do this, but will listen to suggestions as to which lights should be left on. If you can think of any locations that meet one of the criteria above, please let us know by the end of the month.