June 22nd, 2014 |
County Highways Recommend Bus Stop Stays Where It Is !
We have the Local Highways Panel next Thursday, and County Highways officers are now recommending that the bus stop opposite Hambro Parade stays where it is! As we reported last October most councillors on the panel – Conservative and UKIP, as it happens – had voted to move it down to the junction with Ferndale Road, with a cost of up to £75,000.
The report says:
– The ECC Road Safety Team did not support the scheme going ahead
– There was a councillor objection in the local press – that was Ron Oatham!
– Rawreth Parish Council objected
– A Road safety audit ‘identified many points of safety/design for both the proposed bus stop and proposed layby location’
– “Consulation with Stategy and Engagement and Passenger Transportwho both were not in favour… Congestion will not be removed”
– Diverting BT infrastructure at the layby would be expensive
– insufficient space to safely install the bus bay.
So hopefully on Thursday the panel will decide to drop the idea and leave the bus stop where it is!