Big Spending On Big Roads In South Essex (Though Not Much In Rochford)

From the Echo:

WORK is set to begin on three major transport schemes in South Essex after the Government agreed to plough in £155.8m of funding.
A four-and-a-half mile stretch of the A13 between Pitsea and the Orsett Cock, in Thurrock, is to be widened to six lanes while the A127 will get an overhaul at four-pinch points.
Southend’s Victoria Avenue will also get a facelift, while transport in the town will get a £7million boost.

The A13 needs to be widened to 6 lanes largely because of the the new London Gateway container port.

The only improvement in our district is actually on the very edge – a planned £15 million pound improvement to the Fairglen interchange, which will be welcomed by many commuters. Though what impact will this have on the proposed employment land and traveller site that RDC are planning there?

12 Comments

1. Jim Cripps

A Fairglen upgrade should get the A127 / A130 traffic efficiently off of the main highways onto the splendid network of local roads – London Rd / Rawreth Lane / Hullbridge Rd / Hambro Hill etc; …………………..ECC have no plans for those!!.

2. richard lambourne

But remember Jim, Rochford now has control of the Highway Rangers !!!

Seriously though this should have been the time when significant road improvements were announced for Rayleigh Hullbridge etc, the LOwer Road?Watery Lane by pass for instance and many more

What have Cutmore and Hudson doing, why havent they been lobbying County for improvements ????

3. Christine Paine

Has anyone at RDC explained how this affects planned Travellers Site, I’m guessing not. Far too much going on behind closed doors, RDC needs to be more open and honest with the people electorate, who do after all pay them.

4. Jim Cripps

@ 2 – their only objective was to make sure that the rump of the Core Plan landed as far West as possible , Michelin Farm is actually on the border with Basildon district.
    Absolutely no interest in how it would impact locally – and Hudson said Bullwood Hall would’nt be developed until their ( Hockley ) road infrastructure was improved , he is a Hockley Councillor by the way. Cutmore – remember the flooding interview on Look East ” residents should sort their own sandbags out ” , no interest in Rayleigh at all.

5. Christine Paine

But they contradict themselves Jim. As you say, the dump most of the Core Plan as far West as possible, yet if you can actually find the relevant part of their website their “vision” for Rayleigh actually states it is the most important town in the area for shopping, commuting etc. and they intend to keep it that way. Then they try to take away the free Saturday afternoon parking, build without infrastructure almost guaranteeing gridlock and flooding and act as though their prime objective with Rayleigh and surrounding area is to make it as unpleasant as possible.

I know this has been asked before, but why won’t they hold public meetings (as opposed to meetings the public can go to but not say anything) and actually talk to the public, see how they feel about the Cabinet system, development (not that they should be in any doubt about that by now) and a lot of other things. They seem determined to act more like a military junta than a democratically elected and answerable public body.

6. John Mason

@Christine Paine

Not forgotten, I chased it up.

My email dated 8 July to the CEO of RDC

Public Meeting on Infrastructure

At a recent Full Council Councillor Hudson agreed to have such a public meeting organised and run by RDC in response to calls at Full Council from myself and Councillor Black.

This email is to ask you to progress arrangements and to advise us of the details.

7. richard lambourne

Chris, John, Christine, let me and everyone know when this gets scheduled, I am very iterested in the road infrastructure in particular

8. Jim Cripps

My Mum got a ‘Rochford Matters’ through the door today – briefly mentions the legal
    challenge to Allocations Document and recent past ‘un-manned displays ‘ but no indication of a public meeting on Infrastructure – don’t hold your breath!!!!!.

9. bruce smart

Is everyone clear as to the exact remit of the Rangers?

10. Christine Paine

Jim@8 – no sign of Rochford Matters round here as yet. As RDC claim this is their main form of communication with the electorate and everyone always gets a copy I shall be keeping an eagle out for mine!

11. Jim Cripps

Nope, I don’t have one either – it was my Mum’s I was quoting , I would suggest this has been a pattern for quite some years – despite what they claim.

12. richard lambourne

Jim,

I wasnt getting a copy either so I queried it with laura.bliss@rochford.gov.uk

I now get a copy which is marked up with my house number so I suspect I getting a special delivery !!! (a little late for the Consultation process)

It is also available on their website